This “Creamy Rice” Brown Rice Farina Hot Cereal is a favorite of mine anytime of the day. I eat this for breakfast, as a snack and even after dinner at times. I use almond milk but you can make this with whatever you like including water, coconut milk and just plain milk. As you’ve noticed, I like to keep things simple and easy so here’s to a quick and simple snack anytime of the day.
1 ½ cups almond milk
¼ cup Farina
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon honey
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1) Bring almond milk to a boil and add Farina, reducing heat to low. Cook for about 5-8 minutes while stirring.
2) Pour contents into bowl, add butter, honey, sprinkle cinnamon on top and serve.
I felt like I was in the Mediterranean eating this while listening to the water splash on the rocks. This is a great side dish or a meal in itself. It combines lots of healthy veggies like red peppers, green beans and black olives. You can eat this warm or cold, which makes it perfect for the warm summer months. Once you make this, you can put in the refrigerator, and eat it later on or even the next day.
About 1 ½ cups farro
About 2 cups greens beans, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
¾ cup pitted black olives
1 medium red pepper, diced
¾ cup Parmesan, crumbled
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
1) In a pot, add 4 cups of water, bring to a boil and add farro. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the water has soaked up. Add a teaspoon of salt while simmering. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
2) Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add green beans and cook for about 5 minutes. Drain the cooked greens beans and let cool.
3) Add green beans, olives, red pepper, Parmesan, olive oil, and black pepper to bowl of farro, mix and serve.
This Armenian inspired soup is great for the cold winter months (coming up soon) but it’s also super convenient to make the night before for eating the next day. I try to plan ahead, so if I know I’m not going to be home until later in the evening this is one of my go-to meals. If you like chickpeas and beef short ribs you will love this.
Do you have any favorite soups you like to make with chickpeas? Beef short ribs? Please share, I would love to hear!
2 pounds of beef short ribs
2 cans chick peas, rinsed
About 10 bay leaves
About 10 peppercorns
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
¼ cup dried basil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
6 cups water (more as needed)
1 red onion, diced
¼ stick of butter
salt and pepper
1) Heat water over stove. As it starts to boil, add bay leaves, peppercorns and washed beef short ribs to the water, close lid, and let boil on medium-high heat for about 1 hour-90 minutes (adding water as needed).
2) In the meantime, add butter to pan and as it starts to get hot, add diced onions. Brown the onions for a few minutes and add tomato paste and basil to it. Add 1 cup of water and let simmer for a few minutes.
3) Once the beef short ribs are tender, strain the water into another pot (this is done to remove the bay leaves and peppercorns), add beef short ribs, potatoes, chickpeas, and the browned onion mixture to the new pot. Add a little more water if needed. On low heat, let everything simmer for about 30 minutes to bring all the flavors together.
How refreshing is this? Blueberries, lemon and mint are the perfect combo on a hot summer day. It’s hot out there so it’s important to keep hydrated. This will make it easier to drink more water. Make a pitcher of it and drink it all day!
Do you have any fruit combinations that you would like to share? Would love to hear what you use to help you drink more water!
2 sprigs of Mint
¼ cup of Blueberries
1) Drop blueberries in a cup of cold water and use a fork to crush them in the water to release its flavor. Add 2 slices of lemon to the water and do the same.
2) Put the mint inside, garnish with a lemon on the side of cup and serve.
What better way to keep hydrated than to make yourself a smoothie, right? All you need are the ingredients below and a few minutes of your time. Once you make this simple smoothie, everyone around you is going to want you to make them one. It’s also healthy and good for you!
What do you guys think? Have you tried this combo before?
1 banana, peeled
1 cup almond milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Blend all ingredients at low speed until smooth. Pour into cup and serve.